SVG and Unicode

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue May 1 15:50:17 UTC 2007

I would suggest that the basic symbols for the Movement Writing
System be included in one file. Then specialized adaptations that
would be very specific in their application be provided in a separate
file. I would almost lean toward the idea of reserving a space in the
PUA (Private Use Area) where specialized symbols for movement writing
applications could be referenced. The base symbols would be a
permanent part of Unicode because it is used to write sign languages.
However, specialized adaptations of Movement Writing which are not
linguistic in nature could be referenced from the PUA and then a
specific font could be used to retrieve those specialized symbols.

The reason I suggest that is because it is my understanding that
Unicode's intent is to store the writing systems for languages, not
necessarily any kind of transcription. I could be wrong.  I will find
out more when I discuss this project more with my contacts.

Thanks,

Stuart