Wiki article on SignWriting

Cherie Wren cwterp at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 22 23:14:10 UTC 2007

OK, I have no idea what Gimp is...  I took the photos I had and traced them into ... not exactly line drawings, but simpler than photos...  I have a list of about 7 handshapes that I don't have pictures of, I will work on that next...  but here is the first batch.

cherie

----- Original Message ----
From: Stuart Thiessen <sw at passitonservices.org>
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 2:54:42 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Wiki article on SignWriting

I think this is an excellent type of resource. I think it will help many people jump between the hand and the symbol.

My thoughts (perhaps common sense but worth mentioning maybe):

1) Make sure the palm facing and the handshape symbol are identical. I didn't have time this morning to really view all the handshapes to check this, but I was impressed by it. :)

2) I think line drawings are better because there is much less peripheral information to distract the viewer (jewelry, watches, clothes, scratches, fingernails, etc.) I do have a document I wrote up on how to use Gimp to do some very basic linedrawing work. It isn't perfect like an illustration, but if you give yourself a good background, it should work pretty well for this purpose. I could email that to you, Cherie, if you want.

Thanks,

Stuart