Programmers: license for SignWriting symbols (ISWA)

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Mon May 28 11:51:25 UTC 2007

> SIL Open Font License
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL
>
> Our question to programmers who use SignWriting...
>
> How do you feel about the OFL License?
>
> If the SignWriting symbols are placed under the OFL License, will you
> feel free to use the symbols for your programming? That is what
> matters to me.

I'm not sure about this.

The site doesn't seem to define what it means by a "font". So far we
have Val's PNG symbols and Machado's SVG symbols. Do either of these
count as a font? It would seem to me that the PNG would come under som
sort of images license and the the SVGs under some sort of software
license.

In the "Working Model" diagram, the site talks about "Other software
product bundled for specific languages/scripts", but even so, what we
have so far handles PNGs and SVGs, not fonts.

Sandy