Programmers: license for SignWriting symbols (ISWA)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun May 27 19:03:39 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
May 27, 2007

Hello SW Listers, and Gerard and David -

Thank you for this post. I just read your blog, Gerard. Thanks for
this discussion and for all you are doing ;-)

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/search/label/SignWriting

So here is our question to SignWriting List Members....

We want to find a free License for SignWriting symbols, so that the
world knows that they are free to use. As you know, I am working on
the ISWA (the International SignWriting Alphabet) this June, so that
we can then create the SVG version. To do this work, we need to
choose a license that gives users information about the symbols.

Gerard has been very helpful, educating me a tiny bit, about
licenses, and suggested the SIL Open Font License (the OFL) for the
ISWA. It sounds good to me. You can read about it on the web:

SIL Open Font License
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL

Our question to programmers who use SignWriting...

How do you feel about the OFL License?

If the SignWriting symbols are placed under the OFL License, will you
feel free to use the symbols for your programming? That is what
matters to me.

I hope some of you will answer...

Do you know of another license that you would prefer? Are there other
licenses that are better known by programmers or better suited for
the ISWA?

Val ;-)