SVG and Unicode

Tue May 1 14:10:20 UTC 2007

Hoi GerardM,

Here's my thoughts of the different topics...

SVG versus PNG
----------------------
Right now we're using PNG images to create sign images.  These images do
not scale well.  They have SSS ID numbers in the format of
xx-xx-xxx-xx-xx-xx.  We need to organize and produce SVG files for most
of the current IMWA.  Some need to be cleaned up like the white palm
facings.  Each SVG for a symbol, or set of symbols needs to be in a
file.  We can have each SVG in it's own file.  We can pack all of the
SVGs into one file (but this may be too large for older applications).
Or we can break the SVGs into subsets.

SVG and printing
-----------------------
By the time SVG is ready, we'll be able to switch the printing for books
and articles to use the better graphics.  There may need to be a
conversion between the IMWA 1.3 and the SSS ID numbers used for the IMWA
2.0 (or is it 1.4), but we'll just need to keep a track of this.

SVG and Client Computer
----------------------------------
We'll need a stand alone viewer for people to use offline.  The SVGs
will be perfect for this.  The first option is for each client to
download a copy of the SVG files.   The second option is to use the SVGs
on the server to create superior images that will be sent to the
client.  We'll need to analyze the best way to transfer information.
How much can we compress the data or image stream?

Unicode
-----------------------
MovementWriting in general needs a Unicode platter of 56 thousand symbol
places.  Each symbol should get it's own space, or be logically combined
some how.  It's going to be political to get a new platter opened, but
the existing 256 spaces in a nearly full platter are not enough.

Unicode and SVG
Once each symbol has a unique number, we can create font files for
SignWriting.  We may be able to have a single font file, or we may need
multiple font files.  Since we'll already have the SVGs completed, we
can use the SVG style fonts.  This whole process will be repackaging.
There should be automated tools that can help.  Maybe even font experts...

Regards,
-Steve