Signs Found

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 10 03:45:13 UTC 2007

It's a reaction against SEE... probably, if SEE hadn't been forced on the
Deaf community by hearing educators, initialized signs would be more
accepted.  As it is, there was a huge movement not very long ago to get rid
of as many initialized signs as possible and replace them either with a
different sign or fingerspelling.  For example, I originally learned to sign
LIVE with two L-hands, but now ASL users prefer A-hands.  CAR, TRUCK, VAN
and BUS were all initialized signs when I first learned them - and
interestingly enough, the native ASL-signing child I interpreted for last
year used these same initialized signs - but for many adults, the preferred
sign for CAR, TRUCK and VAN is a mime of holding a steering wheel, and BUS
is fingerspelled with a little bounce toward the dominant side of the body.

All part of natural language development...

KJ