Overlapping arrow

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 20 15:02:28 UTC 2007

I was just looking at the signs and was thinking the same thing you just said, Val. :-) Usually when I think of an example, it is either similar or close enough. Here you gave an example of a correct use of the overlapping movement arrow. My question is if the hands were written one on the other so that it reads that on hand is in front of the other, would the overlapping arrow still be correctly used? That was the example that I had in my head, and I wanted to make sure that I was thinking it right. :-)

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: "Valerie Sutton" <dac at signwriting.org>

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 07:53:20
To:"SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Subject: Re: [sw-l] German sign "Forschen"

SignWriting List
October 20, 2007

Hello Paul -
Thank you for this question, and welcome back to the SignWriting List!

Charles' answer is correct. Thank you, Charles, for answering  ;-))

The arrows were designed to mean that the right hand has black paint
on it, and the left hand has white paint on it. So in this sign, the
right and left hands would definitely paint two separate paths as
they move down. The right hand paints a black path and the left hand
paints a white path.

The General Arrowhead, that is neither left nor right, is for other
signs. It is needed when the two hands, for example, are on top of
each other, and then they move down. In that case, the black and
white paint blend together into the same path, and there is neither a
black or a white path...they blend...so that becomes the General Arrow.

Technically the General Arrowhead does not require contact, because
some "overlapping paths" or "blended paths" do not touch...but the
movement does write "on top of each other"....

Thanks again for your question...

Val ;-)

---------------

Charles Butler wrote:
> Though strictly speaking I could read either the same way, the
> second one is correct, Paul.  The first somehow implies the hands
> are closer together so that they literally follow the same path
> (they'd have to be touching to do this).

------------

Paul Hendriks wrote:

Hello everybody in the list,

Thats now a long time ago, i posted my last question questions here.

I need help in writing my sign name and am not sure if i have to write:

   like "forschen" in swiss-german signpuddle

or

   like "Forscher" in german signpuddle

i think that the second one could be the correct writing ? but i'm
not really shure.

Thanks for your help.
Paul Hendriks

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu