New SignWriting Literature posted!

Mon Oct 29 14:17:58 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
October 29, 2007

Hello Stefan and Everyone!
Thank you for this very nice email message. Nancy is not a member of
the SignWriting List, but it is true that Nancy has been using Sutton
DanceWriting since 1975 and SignWriting since 1980. I will definitely
send your message to Nancy privately...thank you for this!

Nancy is the first person to be a qualified teacher of DanceWriting
in 1975, and then became a trained interpreter in ASL, and then
became skilled in SignWriting...So there are so many documents
written in SignWriting by Nancy you wouldn't believe it - and some of
them have DanceWriting blended with SignWriting...very beautiful and
very impressive!

The other day, before the fires, I had not been feeling well because
I fell and hurt myself...(smile I am fine now)...and Nancy wrote me a
"get well card" that blended SignWriting and DanceWriting...it is so
cute! I will ask her permission to post it to the SignWriting List....

Nancy has now made it her job to translate the four Gospels of the
Bible into written ASL, and has already written John Chapters 1-10
and also Chapter 14 already in SignPuddle...we are working together
in a private ASL Bible Puddle, on the project, and I am in charge of
the layout of the books...obviously I have only finished Chapters 1-3
so far, and last night we found some errors we need to correct
again...such is life with documents!

The older writers, who worked with me from 1974-1986 are not
necessarily computer oriented and the majority of the older writers
are not members of the SignWriting List because they did not come to
the writing system through the computer...interesting, isn't it?
Slowly I am asking them to return to learn to use our new software,
SignPuddle. Another writer from the 1980's called me last Friday and
I introduced her to the SignPuddle 1.5 for the first time...she
didn't even know it existed and had never even seen our web sites on
the web... and she was just amazed and plans to start using it...so
we all grow together at different times!

I will try to keep the List informed of all these happenings!

I have a deadline with the first seven chapters of John, and also
with the Cat in the Hat document (we will lose permission to post it
if I do not post it by January 2008)...So I have been working on both
of these documents...

And yes of course I know that everyone needs the ISWA (International
SignWriting Alphabet) which will include the handshapes of Ethiopia
plus other improved arrows that are bigger etc...so that Eyasu and
his group in Ethiopia can write Ethiopian Sign Language Literature in
SignPuddle 1.5. It is a huge job because we cannot just install only
the new handshapes and then later install other symbols...we have to
do the installation into SignPuddle all at once, which means I cannot
post the ISWA until everything is done...But I hope to work on this
in November...

I am sorry this has held you back, Stefan, with designing the TT
Fonts for Eyasu...I will try to get to this shortly...after Todd,
SignBank programmer leaves today...we are re-designing DocumentMaker
today...

Val ;-)