SignPuddle 1.0 taken off the web...

Wed Oct 31 17:24:27 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
October 31, 2007

Dear SignWriting List members -

Due to several ongoing problems, Steve Slevinski and I decided to
take the old SignPuddle 1.0 (the old SignPuddle) off the web today.
It is saved in our office on disk, in case we have to refer to it,
but it is off the web officially.

Why? Because people were accidentally visiting the old SignPuddle
1.0, because they had it bookmarked in their web browsers, and then
they would feel confusion, because the signs they had entered in the
new SignPuddle 1.5 of course were not in the old files.

I realize, Vanessa and a few others, you wanted to keep the
SignPuddle 1.0 for ASL up on the web for reference, but even that was
causing some people confusion, so we are now officially using
SignPuddle 1.5 from now on...

This is better for all of us in the long run...

Steve has designed some AMAZING new features in SignPuddle 1.5 now,
which we will be announcing in the future...including the
extraordinary ability to reduce the bitmapped images to minute sizes
and they are still clearly read on the screen...this is for a new
feature called ColumnMaker...and is really remarkable. Before,
bitmapped images always looked bad on the screen...fuzzy and with
"staircases" for circles and so forth...but not now, with this new
feature that Steve is building in SignPuddle 1.5.

This is the first time in history I have ever seen a bitmapped
SignWriting symbol reduced with such clarity on the web...so even
though other formats, such as SVG and True Type, will always be
needed too, right now, with the new features Steve will be giving us,
we will be able to reduce the size of the bitmapped symbols giving us
clear sharp images for all kinds of documents...in a variety of
software programs...we will also be able to change the colors of
symbols, and also change the color of the backgrounds behind the
symbols, in complete documents...even coloring just the right hand or
the left hand...so many colorful features it feels like visiting
Disneyland! ;-))

Enjoy SignPuddle 1.5!
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu