AW: [sw-l] Kids computer

Tue Sep 11 19:43:38 UTC 2007

Hi  André,

I am pretty much under pressure – so please accept a short answer  ;-)

Yes you are right. I am using SignWriting or “GebaerdenSchrift” as we call
the German branch with all these additional mouthsymbols for several years
now pretty successfully with children.

Even at kindergarden some colleagues start now to include first SW- symbols
but very much my speechwriting symbols to support hearing impaired little
children .

Well if it comes down to reading my students became real experts and they
take a great advantage out of this possibility to offer bilingual materials.

Unfortunately they did not develop good spelling/writing skills.  The reason
for that is to be found in the circumstances. We do not have too much time
to spend on producing SW – documents. So it is me who is the scribe and they
use these documents in order to improve their spoken language skills.

My own sons developed pretty impressive writing skills with the good old SW
DOS program. In fact I learned so much from their way to memorize the keys
for the hidden symbols. Did you ever get the chance to look at their
artwork. The “Maennekens” and the animated gifs they produced are really
fun.

Right now I will restart a new program with three deaf students about 13
years old. We will use the SW44 DOS Program and hopefully I will allow them
to at least develop some idea on how to create a given sign with the many
symbols hidden behind the keys. smile.

All the best

Stefan ;-)

  _____