Question about/for the Deaf :-)

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Tue Sep 18 14:51:24 UTC 2007

Rodrigo,
Web 2.0 is tending to exclude the Deaf.  I'm not sure what information
loss would be represented by that.  Also, nearly every online video that
provides information is not captioned - in any language, SignWriting
included.  So I'm not sure if the divide is purely from lack of access
to the internet.  Once on the internet, there are further divides.

However, I believe there may be a larger issue in the use of the
internet than lack of information.  Lack of information presumes that
the information and the act of obtaining that information are
beneficial, when, in truth, it may prevent an individual from developing
themselves properly.  As in anything, it may be an individual
determination as to whether or not internet access is beneficial,
partially beneficial, or detrimental.  As in the general population,
benefits may be derived at different ages on different subjects and
there are problems when there is access to information that isn't
appropriate.

Because of that and other considerations, such as a blurring of cultural
identities, a preference to internet access over local responsibilities,
etc, it may be overly presumptuous to always attribute a negative
viewpoint to lack of access to internet information.

On the other hand, communication access presented by the internet is
definitely useful.  Unfortunately, as you are aware, it requires either
a knowledge of the spoken language to be able to communicate through
typing or sign language interpreters when using visual communication.
Signwriting could possibly be a bridge when it's capable of being used
in machine translations.

Bill