Animated GIFs of ISWA Hands, Group 1, 2 and 3...

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Tue Dec 2 16:01:58 UTC 2008

Hi Val and everyone,

    See your attached diagram "ALLIGATOR".  I am confused.  I remember that you told me that fingers look like in a real life. For example a sign for HAMBURGER in LSQ (B) is correct because the finger of the left hand is directed up and looks like in a real life.  a sign (C) is incorrect since the finger of the left hand is directed dowm and doesn't look like in a real life.

    This is my writing (A) "ALLIGATOR" in ASL (here is my attachment)   am I right?

    I would like to know if your attached diagram "ALLIGATOR" is correct?  Do these fingers look like in a real life?

    I am sorry that I am still learning about it.

    Hand waving

    André

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Valerie Sutton
  To: SignWriting List
  Cc: Adam Frost
  Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:22 PM
  Subject: [sw-l] Animated GIFs of ISWA Hands, Group 1, 2 and 3...

  SignWriting List
  November 30, 2008

  Hi Adam and Stefan -
  Thanks for your message below....

  You can see I would much rather talk about handshapes than write the grant...but I am getting to the writing soon! ;-)) We all need the money...;-)

  Anyway...here are some more examples of white palm handshapes with the fingers directed toward the Center of the Body...it is necessary to show the relationship between hands, body and fingers...so it is applying these symbols to actually writing signs, that shows why they are designed the way they are...I always had trouble explaining the reason for this, until finally the Center Rule made it clear why intuitively the center direction feels better...signers rarely twist their fingers to point to the outside of the body...

  For example, the sign for ALLIGATOR...the left hand has to have the fingers going into the Center so it can contact the other hand's fingers...