Announcing a new 2009 project...SignWriting Literature Archives

Sat Dec 6 17:08:29 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 6, 2008

Dear SignWriting List!

Announcing a new 2009 project....

SignWriting Literature Archives
Writing World Literature in the Sign Languages of the World

In 2009, SignWriting will be 35 years old. The first document written
was in 1974 in Denmark.

Last year at this time, Steve Slevinski and I made it our goal, in
2008, to complete and officially start using the International
SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA 2008) in current software, and to develop
new software using the ISWA 2008. We have succeeded with this goal. I
still have new books to write to teach the ISWA, and Steve still is
working on new software, such as the SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin,
which is in Alpha right now, but the goal of using the ISWA 2008 by
the end of 2008 has been accomplished. Thank you, Steve, for creating
the IMWA to ISWA conversion program, which was seamless, making this
possible!

With the ISWA installed in SignPuddle, we now have some Ethiopian
handshapes, and other new handshapes, that others have requested over
many years. This means that we hopefully can start writing some
Ethiopian Sign Language Literature, and hopefully most of the
handshapes needed will be there...although I realize that there will
always be new handshapes needed that we could not foresee....

Therefore I am keeping a list of new requests, and maybe in four years
or so, we can add the requests...but not for a long time, because I
believe we can "construct" any new handshapes that are needed, and I
am hoping that the ISWA has enough handshapes that other countries can
start writing literature too...

So my goal, for 2009, is to collect and publish as many SignWriting
documents as possible, both old and new, written by hand, or by any
computer program, and place them in a new internet Archive called the
"SignWriting Literature Archive (SWLA)". I am going to start a
homepage now, for the SignWriting Literature Archive that will make it
possible to search for SignWriting documents by country, by name of
the sign language, by the document title, by the document date, by the
name of the author, by the name of the software used to create the
document, and by the format for downloading and reading the document
online...

It is my hope, by the end of 2009, that we will have a huge archive of
SignWriting documents easily accessible by anyone on the internet....

Several days ago, I had a great conversation with Steve and Dianne
Parkhurst in Spain, on Skype....Steve and Dianne gave us permission to
scan in old documents, dictionaries and literature in SignWriting from
Spain, including Steve's mystery novel, plus we also have permission
to provide another version of those documents written in SignPuddle in
vertical columns, so the Spanish Sign Language documents will have two
versions available in the SignWriting Literature Archives...the
original historic document, and the newly entered document in
SignPuddle. Thank you, Steve and Dianne, for this....I am hoping by
the end of 2009 to have a long list of Spanish documents available on
the web...preserving your work spanning over decades.

And I would also like to do the same for all other countries and
authors who have written SignWriting documents in the past or present,
whether they were written in SignWriter DOS, SignWriter Java, SWEdit,
SignPuddle...or by hand...any version is historic and should be
documented and preserved in the SW Literature Archives.

So I hope writers here on the SignWriting List will contact me with
permission to place your documents in the new SignWriting Literature
Archives in 2009...It will be a slow process, to get them all
cataloged and available,  but well worth the effort...

So I look forward to receiving information from writers, as to the
names and lists of their documents...

If you give us permission to place your documents in the SignWriting
Literature Archives, you are welcome to post the names of the
documents here on the SW List, and slowly I will contact you and make
arrangements to receive copies of the documents to place them in the
Archives...

2009 will be a rich year of literature preserved around the world...I
look forward to hearing from all of you...

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages