Handwriting

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Mon Dec 8 18:46:55 UTC 2008

Hi Stuart, Stefan, Val and everyone,

    Stuart,  I agree with you.  I need to compare between a printed forms and handwriiten forms.

    Stefan,  thank you for sending us your attached sheet "HALLO" (HELLO).  I love reading it.  It is  wonderful for your students to try to handwrite.  Your sheet is an example of "quick daily writing". If maybe you don't like the sentence above, I change "learn how to handwrite or how to write by hand".   For example, I am writing a LSQ curriculum (grade 7th)

SW writing

    By the end of Grade 7, students will:
- handwrite a basic handshape from the front wall
- handwrite a basic handsahpe from the top view.
-handwrite a basic palm of orientation color
-so on

Hand waving

André

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stefan Wöhrmann
  To: 'SignWriting List'
  Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 12:47 PM
  Subject: AW: [sw-l] Handwriting

  Hi  André and friends,

  I hesitate to answer - what I understand is that you think about  a curriculum (?) about "quick daily SignWriting by hand" - is that true?

  Well-  do you know André that I am teaching deaf students for years now reading SignWriting documents every day! But nevertheless - for some reason there is a big difference to become a skilled reader and to become a skilled scribe with SW-software. And it takes even more practice and insight and  perhaps a higher level of reflection to write by hand. So far my best students would try to write by hand only very few signs. Obviously it takes a lot of understanding to create a visual representation of what handshape in which orientation is needed. Now the students have to practice and practice and practice lots of different handshapes and orientations. Some other problems are connected with proportions of different symbols and the way - ( the best procedure) how to write certain movement arrows ... I am busy to write my second book - "Learn to write SignWriting" and lots and lots of single tasks are to be part of this instruction course.  I will keep you infomed. Do not hesitate to ask questions ... Attached you find a typical excercise sheet "hallo" written with all different kinds of pencils and colors ...

  Take care

  Stefan ;-)