AW: [sw-l] Handwriting

Mon Dec 8 18:08:16 UTC 2008

Hi Stuart,

thank you very much for your comment.  I would like to afform that I go
along with your thoughts. One problem – I see – we would not be good
teachers if we think to write by hand is an easy to accomplish task for
children. No it is not true.  SignWriting by hand is difficult and it takes
many many hours of practice and a teacher who enables them to keep
motivated. It is a time consuming and slow – and in a surrounding where
everything and all is oriented towards spoken languge you would not expect a
child to develop higher skills in an area if there are no adults who really
understand ...

And what   you suggest is a brilliant idea – we need to compare the symbols
as they are printed with noble software – and what they look like if written
by hand. That is the reason Valerie that I am so interested in the  first
handwritten documents – .. smile ... just to compare the way other
handwriters tried to find their way to write double circular movements,
hands parallel to the floor, .... smile

Attached another handwritten document of a SignWriting enthusiast – smile –
next to a railway-track

All the best

Stefan ;-)

  _____