question on location symbols

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Mon Feb 25 23:10:45 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
February 25, 2008

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> can any one explain what is the difference between these 2 symbols ?
> I know it's "underneath" something.... but.... what's the difference
> is one of them in touch with the other hand or arm or body part ?

Hello Anny!
Thanks for this question. Those symbols are called "Surface Symbols",
and they are explained on these two web pages:

Surface Symbols
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less006.html
(which you have already translated into French)

and

Surface Symbols 2
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less028.html

This second page above is the best explanation.

It doesn't matter whether the surface being touched is the arm, or
shoulders, or hand...it is talking about any surface of any body part.

The single-line base symbol means touching above or below or to the
side of....parallel to the floor.

The double-line base symbol means touching in front of, or in back of
a surface, parallel to the front wall.

see attached...these symbols should be used rarely...