SignWriting taught in Sign Language Phonetics Course at SIL 2008

Mon Jul 7 23:24:05 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
July 7, 2008

Hello SW Listers!
Today I had a Skype conversation with Steve and Dianne Parkhurst, who
are in North Dakota teaching courses at the Summer Institute of
Linguistics (SIL) summer courses.

Here's the web page for the whole SIL school:

http://www.und.edu/dept/linguistics

And here is a link to their "sign language related" courses:

http://www.und.edu/dept/linguistics/courses.htm#SignedLanguages

Dianne Parkhurst is teaching a course on the Phonetics of Signed
Languages, and Dianne told me today that around 80 per cent of the
course uses SignWriting. Right now, the students are learning to
signwrite by hand, and later in the course, around the beginning of
August, they will start to learn to use SignPuddle software. Dianne
tells me that the students are enthusiastic and have expressed that
they really enjoy learning and using SignWriting...

I looked on the above web page, and I believe this is the course that
is using SignWriting...

Ling 455: Special Topics: Phonetics of Signed Languages
2 semester hours *2008*
The basic manual and non-manual elements that are used in the
production of natural signed languages; terminology for describing
them precisely; notational systems for writing signed languages,
especially for use in research; extensive practice in recognizing,
mimicking, transcribing, and reproducing signs in a variety of signed
languages.

For new List members...

The Parkhursts are linguists living in Spain. Two SignPuddles on the
web have signs from Spain:

Catalan Sign Language
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index1.html#sgn-ES-ct

Spanish Sign Language (Madrid)
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index1.html#sgn-ES

The Parkhursts are the authors of this SignWriting textbook, which you
can download free online:

SignWriting Lessons Book, English version:
http://www.signwriting.org/spain/lecciones/

SignoEscritura: Spanish Version
http://www.signwriting.org/spain/lecciones/SignoEscritura/index.html