sign puddle help

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 11 11:43:27 UTC 2008

I would have to agree with Cherie.  It's like taking any two spoken languages.

  Example:

  Vamanos (Spanish), Let's go (English).  You would need to know the etymology of Vama - Go (imperative) + Nos (Go).

  The whole phrase to the whole phrase comes out vamanos = let's go.

  Or "je ne sais qua", a French term which literally means "I don't know what" but is used as a term in English when something is indescribable but valuable.  She has a certain "je ne sais qua" when it comes to fashion.

  English gloss is not ASL.  ASL is not English in sign.  Some words translate when they are nouns, but verbal inflections, tones of phrase, shrugs, and other things just don't translate word for word.

  Charles

Cherie Wren <cwterp at yahoo.com> wrote:
           The Cat in the Hat in SignPuddle is an ASL translation of the English story by Dr Seuss.  If you want to see the English gloss for the ASL, it won't necessarily make a lot of sense in English, and it will leave out a lot of information, because gloss is not capable of including all the subtleties (and some of the obvious stuff) that is included in the sign.  Lets take the "Cat in the Hat 01" section:  In gloss I would render it as "Sunshine none. Outside rain wet can't play.  [gesture: shrug with palms up] sit inside house.  All day cold wet."  Which in the original English was "The sun did not shine.  It was too wet to play.  So, we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day."  Signwriting can convey the emotional "tone of voice" that neither written English nor gloss ('written' sign that isn't signwriting) can.

If you are looking to learn to read SW or ASL, or to understand my version of the story, I would be happy to help you.

cherie