what do you think of these ASL and SASL videos?

Mon Mar 31 15:33:08 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
March 31, 2008

Hello Cherie and Everyone -
I downloaded both free demos...one for South African Sign Language and
one for ASL...I think the software is very nicely designed and it
works well...

And thank you, Cherie, for your input...I thought the ASL version had
nice quality videos and I certainly recognized many of the signs...It
is interesting to me to see how hard it is to create good
dictionaries...If signs are not exactly the same as we sign it, it
feels funny...but I would assume that it must be dialectical or
regional differences...

What interests me is something else entirely...

I am interested in finding software that would give us permission to
place the SignWriting for each sign, near the videos...Developing the
actual software for the video dictionary is a lot of work, and it
would be nice not to have to re-invent the wheel for the software
development itself...if we could get permission from the publishers to
use their software to add the SignWriting...so I would assume if we
made an arrangement like that, that we could also add our own videos
too...

Remember that other one...the Rocket Signs videos that had a free demo
a while ago?...I thought their software format was nice too...and they
are located near Adam Frost north of Los Angeles...I am considering
contacting them about permission to use their videos to add
SignWriting...

Anyway...when we wrote a dictionary years ago between Danish Sign
Language and American Sign Language in SignWriting, I was surprised
how hard it was to create a dictionary that everyone was happy
with...people's signs vary, just as spoken language words vary, and
dictionaries make people accept the fact that words are pronounced
differently from region to region, so all those dialects have to be
included in the dictionary I guess!

One of our big projects that I hope to start in 2009, it to publish a
truly wonderful and comprehensive bilingual ASL dictionary written in
SignWriting...In the past we have had small ones, but we need a large
and expanding Dictionary project...

The following books in ASL are on our list to be published...the exact
dates are not set...

SignWriting Publications
Cat in the Hat Storybook
Gospel According to John (21 Chapters)
Sleeping Beauty Storybook
Cinderella Storybook
Book of Mother Goose Rhymes
Snow White Workbook
Snow White Storybook
Fable Tortoise & the Hare
ASL Bilingual Dictionary (videos and book)

and let's not forget an ASL Encyclopedia, which will start on
Wikipedia in the future!

Wonderful projects all...

Val ;-)