Deaf Church Videos with ASL Subtitles on YouTube

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Mar 28 20:12:15 UTC 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Ronald Dettloff wrote:
> Why not?  We are just experimenting and when the words go accross
> the screen they will interfere with the signs. Second, our song
> leaders need to have the signs in the same place. We are thinking of
> trying the next song with the signs at the bottom.

This is such a great project, and we know it is very hard to do this
work...so you are doing a great job...

I noticed that the writing in ASL is a dark color, placed on top of
another dark color, and it hard to read the subtitles in ASL quickly,
partly because they do not stand out from the background color...

Can you place the written ASL in a white box? Black on white, for
people with normal eyesight, can be faster to read...

If you look at professional captions for English, you might notice
that the captions oftentimes are highlighted in a light strip across
the screen...or they write the symbols reversed so they are white on
black...but they somehow make the captioning easy to see and very
distinctive...some captions are even highlighted in yellow, depending
on the software they use...

All just ideas for the future...

Thanks again for sharing with us -