Announcing: the SignWriting Image Server beta

Fri May 2 13:59:00 UTC 2008

Hi List,

I'm happy to announce the beta version of the SignWriting Image Server:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis

This is an open source project for web servers that creates SignWriting
images.  The code in licensed under the GPL v3.  The SignWriting font
for the ISWA 2008 is licensed under the Open Font License.  The main
SWIS document is licensed under Creative Commons (by-sa).

The SignWriting Image Server does not create the content for web pages;
it displays the content that has already been created.  Once I update
SignPuddle for the ISWA 2008, it will use SWIS and be able to generate
SWIS ready content.  After that, I'll be working on the open source
SignText plug-in that will also use SWIS.

You can download the project.  It requires a web server with PHP and the
GD graphics library.  The download is 11 MB and contains over 33
thousand files.
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis.zip

I'm expecting to have the Release Candidate 1 ready by the end of the
month.  I should have the ISWA version of SignPuddle ready to test by
that time.  Val and I have been working on a conversion routine from the
IMWA to the ISWA that is currently 99.9% accurate.

I'm excited for the open standards.  We will have a MediaWiki plugin
sometime this summer.  What fun!

Regard,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu