SignWriting Linguistics Society Conference - Call for Papers - October 2009

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 21 03:58:50 UTC 2008

I am looking now for a better date in Spring of 2009 or October of 2009 because there are teachers in Europe who would be using October 2008 for their own conference, and cannot do both.  Taking a year will make it much easier to plan.

Charles Butler

Gagnon et Thibeault <atg at videotron.ca> wrote:       Hi Charles and everyone,

        I will be very pleased  to write  for a "call for papers" before September 1st 2008.  However, I need the  exact dates because I will fill in the University of Ottawa grant application  form concerning registration fees, transportation costs, hotel fees and so on,  at beginning of September 2008.  Therefore, I hope I will get the exact  dates before September 1st 2008 because the University of Ottawa fund will run  out of money next October.

       You know that the Deaf Canadian Conference  will be held in Calgary (Canada) from  July 22nd to 26th 2008.  On  July 23rd at 11:00 AM, a deaf teacher and I will give an hour long   presentation titled "SignWriting".

       Val, I would appreciate receiving   various materials (CD or other things) which  I would gladly   distribute  to Deaf or hearing participants attending conferences.

      Kind regards,

       André
    ----- Original Message -----
   From:    Charles Butler
   To: SignWriting List
   Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 11:21 AM
   Subject: Re: [sw-l] SignWriting    Linguistics Society Conference - Call for Papers

Valerie: Taking the cost of interpreters off the top will    really help.

The costs that I'm coming up with include the hotel and    meals, including a food plan.  The registration costs will include    administrative fees to ensure that everything gets done including recording    the session and registration staff.  This is exciting.  We may, if    all works out, be able to do it this year (2008), depending on costs and    availability.  If not, we can plan for Spring 2009.

I live in an    area that knows how to create and plan conferences quickly.  Until we    have a price it is impossible to do a "call for papers", though my hope is    that we will have at least 20 presenters.

Perhaps we can start    that "call for papers" here.

CALL FOR PAPERS: (Please post where    appropriate):

SignWriting Linguistics Society* in cooperation with the    Center for Sutton Movement Writing calls for papers on the use of SignWriting    in Lingustics.  Any signed language is welcome to present using any    subject matter.

Subjects may include linguistics, literacy,    vocabulary acquisition, and SignWriting instruction.

Each    presenter should include the following in bid:

1) Name
2)    Address
3) Contact Information
4) Credentials
5) Interpreting Needs    (Deaf, Deaf-Blind, Hard of Hearing, Hearing)
6) Title of Presentation
7)    Abstract - Up to 300 words
8) Length of Presentation - 30 minutes, 1 hour,    1.5 hours (maximum)
9) AV Needs (PC portal, overhead projector, flip    charts)
10) Mobility needs (the hotel meeting space is flat and without    stairs or obstacles)

In addition, Poster Sessions will also be    available.  If you have a presentation that can best be done as a    free-standing poster, let us know.  We have room for up to 12 poster    sessions which will be up for the duration of the conference.

DEADLINE:    Abstract Deadline for this first call is September 1, 2008.  There may be    a second call.

It is our intention that this conference will be    open to all, and especially to Gallaudet University students, faculty, and    staff.

Send abstracts to:

Charles Butler
3205 Kimberly    Road
Hyattsville, MD 20782

*SignWriting Linguistics Society is a    private venture formed for this conference only.  Send inquiries to    Charles Butler at the address above or call (240) 764-5748.

SW-L    SignWriting List

Post    Message
SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and    Help