[sw-l] Sign Spelling Syllables question

Hasna Hocini h_hocini at YAHOO.FR
Thu May 15 01:18:38 UTC 2008

Sorry... I forgot this question ...
In the SignSpelling Guidelines 2004, SignSpelling can be simultaneous or sequential... is it enough to represent all signs ?
Thank you again !and have a good night :-) .
Hasna

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com> a écrit : SignWriting ListMay 14, 2008

Hasna Hocini wrote:
I need a file where I can have the SignSpelling Syllables. I found  the sbml file. In this file we find: <Sequence>............ </Sequence>
it is I guess the signspelling sequence. But I can't find a file with the signspelling syllables. Can you help me with that please. Thank you very much and have a good night, Hasna Hocini

Hello Hasna!
Thank you for this unusual question ;-)

It is unusual because we have never broken down the SignSpelling data into segments called "syllables". Not from a software point of view anyway...as far as i know ;-)

I just completed the International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA 2008) last Friday. I delivered it to Steve Slevinski, who is developing the SignWriting Image Server and other software, that will bring the ISWA to the general public...

You'll probably be interested in the SignWriting Image Server (http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis).  Steve just released the beta.  You can download the project if you want.
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/swis.zip

Over the next few months, Steve will release more open source software for use, such as SignMaker and SignText.

Steve is currently rewriting SignPuddle to use the ISWA symbol set, rather than the older IMWA symbol set.  It will be able to export data for use with the SignWriting Image Server.

Now that I have completed the ISWA 2008, I plan to do the following:

1. Write a new manual: "SignSpelling Guidelines 2008". This will provide you with important information on SignSpelling rules, including how to add SignSpellings into current SignPuddle software. I will address the issue of SignSyllables in the manual, but that will only be in the manual and not a part of SWML at this time...

2. I need to update our SignBank Desktop Database software to use the symbols in the new ISWA 2008...so that is a big job for me to update SignBank. Once that has been done, I will create a new download for SignBank users...

So I will keep you informed as to when the SignSpelling Guidelines 2008 is ready for download on the web...

If you want to ask me more questions, perhaps I can help you sign by sign...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help