ASL Dictionary & the Translate feature

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 17 00:42:42 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 22:16:33 +0200
> Subject: Re: [sw-l] ASL Dictionary & the Translate feature
> From: maria.azzopardi at um.edu.mt
> To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
> CC: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
>
> Hi K.J Boal,
>
> Just to say well done for all the hard work you are putting into this. I
> don't know ASL (from Europe here) however I know SignWriting so I could
> read your texts. With the help of translations I could pick up a few ASL
> signs :)
>
> I happened to carry out a similar task for work on my two thesis, i.e
> transcibing a signer signing a story. At the time I didn't use SignPuddle,
> because I don't think it was available. I've just started using it now for
> our Bible project.
>
> One question, are you transcribing phonetically? I.e. if your signer signs
> slips, hestitates or uses gestures, do you include these in your
> transciptions, or do you filter such things? I had included everything,
> mainly because it was a linguistic study so I wanted as much detail as
> possible. However if yours is for book form then perhaps you do things a
> little differently?
>
> thanks,
> Maria

Thank you for the kind comments, Maria!  I wish I could translate the ASL into English as poetically as Darline signed it. ;-)  Still, I'm glad you're able to read the SignWriting and pick up some ASL signs that way.

To answer your question, yes, I am pretty much transcribing phonetically at this point.  As a matter of fact, on Page 13 there is a spot where the signer did hesitate, back up and rephrase a couple of times - at least, that's how it looked to me - but I transcribed it as she signed it.  (For those who are interested, when the huntsman just can't kill her, Darline signed "honor", long pause, "honor she princess", shorter pause, "Snow White herself princess".)  In later editing we might take some of that out, but for the first draft I'm including as much as I can.  I'm only leaving out transitional movement from one sign to the next.

Thank you,
KJ