SignPuddle: More Questions from Malta

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue May 20 22:14:33 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 20, 2008

Hello Maria!
Thanks for this message...

Maria wrote:
> 1) I will signwrite multiple facial expressions the way Stefan is
> doing
> so..wow I think his work is wonderful, well done! It's amazing to
> see how
> much work signwriting work is building up all over the globe :)

Yes! Stefan's dictionary is amazing...

German Sign Language Dictionary in SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=8&sgn=53

German Sign Language Literature in SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=8&sgn=26

And guess what?! Stefan has recently translated the entire SignPuddle
Reference Manual into the German spoken language...would you prefer
the manual in German? I will post it shortly on the web...thank you,
Stefan!

> Maria wrote:
> 2) I've managed to use the 'Translate' Feature from ASL puddle to
> upload
> the fingerspelling handshapes that are the same as LSM. I also
> managed to
> signwrite the different fingerspelling handshapes used in LSM. I have
> saved each handshape as a seperate entry in the Puddle.

Excellent!

> 3) I'm now trying to see how I can save separate signs and then using
> Translate Feature load the sign into SignText...now here I'm getting
> stuck, sorry :( I can't seem to find a way to do this. For example
> if I
> have the sign MARY saved, and the sentence starts with MARY, how can i
> translate it INTO the text?

I can see by number 2 above that you already know how to start a new
sentence using the Translate feature, so you must be asking how to
insert a sign into a text that has already been written and saved? Are
you asking how to change a document you already saved, by re-loading
it into the SignText Editor, and you then want to insert a sign?

If that is your question, you cannot use the Translate Feature in that
case...at this time we do not have that kind of feature related to the
Translate Feature

But you can insert a new sign into a document, but just not using the
Translate Feature....

To insert a new sign into a document, re-load the saved document into
the SignText Editor, and then write the new sign you want to insert,
and then use the Insert Button...this is explained in the Reference
Manual on page 76. It is Number 56 in the Table of Contents of the
reference manual...

> My last question is about the button 'Clear all'..should I fear it
> the way
> I do? ;)) If I click on it by mistake, will all the signs written on
> that
> page be lost and never retrieved again?

If you mean the "Delete All" button...that deletes that one sign entry
in the dictionary...that is explained on page 39 in the Reference
Manual, and it is number 24 in the Table of Contents...

If you mean the "Clear All" button that is inside SignMaker while you
are creating an individual sign, which you have not saved it yet, then
that just clears the SignBox so you can start writing again in the
SignBox...nothing is hurt because you haven't saved anything yet...

I hope this helps!