Workshop on phonetic notation of SLs

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed May 21 19:52:51 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 21, 2008

Hello Ingvild!
Thanks for this message....This event mentioned below is related to
the Scott Liddell and Robert Johnson system from the 1980's...it is a
linguistically-based notation system that is for linguists...nothing
like SignWriting and could not be used for writing Sign Language
Literature..it is not a true writing system for daily use at all...I
met the inventors years ago....when I taught a workshop on SignWriting
at Gallaudet University in 1984, I had lunch with Scott Lilddell and
Bob Johnson...they teach linguistics at the Linguistics dept at
Gallaudet ...at least they did at the time...and it is not like the
Stokoe system either...a different system...It does not have the same
purpose as SignWriting, but it would be fun to have some SignWriting
participants at their meeting -

For those new on our List, SignWriting is used as a linguistic
notation system too, but it was developed for everyday use as a real
writing system for signers...so we can write stories and books in
written signed languages, written by the users of the languages, and
not just for research or specific linguistic projects...SignWriting
incorporates writing facial expressions and mime and gesture and so
many more important features that make it possible to write
storytelling...

Here is a description from their web page mentioned below:

  Description of the workshop:
  This workshop will present the details of a phonetic notation system
for signed languages developed by Robert Johnson and Scott Liddell.
This approach to phonetics has evolved substantially since it
publication in the 1980s in its earlier form which was sometimes known
as movement-hold notation.

Thanks for the posting, Ingvild!

Val ;-)