Workshop on phonetic notation of SLs

Wed May 21 19:56:03 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
May 21, 2008

Hello Ingvild!
Thanks for this message....This event mentioned below is related to
the Scott Liddell and Robert Johnson system from the 1980's...it is a
linguistically-based notation system ...nothing like SignWriting and
could not be used for writing Sign Language Literature..it is not a
true writing system for daily use...I met the inventors years
ago....when I taught a workshop on SignWriting at Gallaudet University
in 1984, I had lunch with Scott Lilddell and Bob Johnson...they teach
linguistics at the Linguistics dept at Gallaudet ...at least they did
at the time...and it is not like the Stokoe system either...a
different system...It does not have the same purpose as SignWriting,
but it would be fun to have some SignWriting participants at their
meeting -

For those new on our List, SignWriting is used as a linguistic
notation system too, but it was developed mostly for everyday use as a
real daily writing system for signers...so we can write stories and
books in written signed languages, written by the users of the
languages, and not just for research or specific linguistic
projects...SignWriting incorporates writing facial expressions and
body movement and more important features that make it possible to
write storytelling and write directly in the movements of signed
languages...

Thanks for the posting, Ingvild!

Val ;-)