SignWriting on "not the wikipedia weekly"

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Nov 4 16:47:58 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
November 4, 2008

Hello Gerard and all!
I just listened to the entire podcast program meeting on the "Not the
Wikipedia Weekly" program.

The audio file is located on this site:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ntww35.ogg
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NotTheWikipediaWeekly

This is my summary...I am sure I will not explain everything properly,
but here is what I remember from what i heard...

It was very pleasant and fun....a conversation in English with people
from several countries, including the UK and Gerard from the
Netherlands. They discussed the fact that the name  "Not the Wikipedia
Weekly" will be re-named as "WikiVoices". They also discussed how to
type and write in Wiki-based sites...for example, there are articles
written in Wikipedia that are not the best quality, and so they
discussed the editing process of Wikipedia articles...and they felt
that it is a little bit "locked" now that it has become so big that
the editing process has to be reviewed so it is not locked, but still
not have bad articles...because some good articles are being edited
out, and that is frustrating writers...deletionists and inclusionists
were discussed...they feel that they need to be more welcoming for
countries outside the western world...that there might be a
bias...should be tighter with western topics and more open to topics
from the eastern countries...there is cultural bias that needs to be
corrected..."Did You Know?" (DYK) is an article on Wikipedia that
lists new articles just entered...nice "thank you" to the writers of
new articles...DYK is there for a few hours only on the front page of
the Wikipedia site to inform new readers of new articles...the reward
for writing a good article is to get a spot on the main page of
Wikipedia in Did You Know?...

Then they talked about SignWriting...Gerard explained what it was to
the group....he explained that Val and Steve informed him that the
SignWriting MediaWiki Plugin is now in alpha...Gerard did a great job
discussing the idea that now Sign Languages can be written, in
vertical columns...and Gerard discussed how do you place a photograph
in the middle of a Wiki-based article written in SignWriting in
vertical columns?...and then they discussed Unicode briefly and that
now we can write SignWriting in the SignWriting MediaWiki
Plugin...there are hundreds of Sign Languages that will someday have
their own Wikipedia and that now we have a request for the American
Sign Language version...then another speaker said it really "blew his
mind" to realize that the Sign Languages can be written...that it
helps with education and raises visibility for Sign Language in the
world...and Gerard said that SignWriting is taught in some schools but
not in others...it allows signers to read and write in their own daily
language...when you learn to read and write in your mother tongue then
we all do better in life ...and they talked about the California based
non-profit organization...and Gerard suggested that they go to
SignWriting.org....people said it was a fascinating topic and Gerard
said that he felt that it will happen more and more now...

Then they moved on to other topics

So that is my summary of what I heard on the program...

THANK YOU Gerard, for your presentation on the program....You did a
great job explaining it....and thank you for inviting us to
participate on another program...we look forward to it!

Sutton at SignWriting.org