mouth patterns

Stefan Wöhrmann stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 23 12:59:57 UTC 2008

Hi Maria,

thanks for your question.

Well – here in Germany the mouth patterns take quite a part of the
information of a sign in DGS (German  Sign Language) When I started to write
my fist SW-documents I felt confused that even I myself as the scribe of
these documents could not identify some signs after a short time – And my
deaf students have had a very hard time to beliee that we are not playing
some kind of guessing game – smile –

In the beginning I had some doubts that SW will function at all within this
context –

But it happened that I invented at the same time a special
Speechwriting-notation which is a very welcome support in any context of
articulation training... and usefull for other reasons as well. (If German
deaf students learn to pronounce english words  “Woehrmanns SpeechWriting”
is a wonderfull support and teaching tool)

Ok – I started to define several mouthsymbols that had been already part in
the good old  SW-Dos – software  DOS SW4.3 – and over the time we have
established a whole set of mouthsymbols that go along with what we can see
if a hearing person is speaking.

It would make sense if these symbols get some kind of standardization – so
that all over the different SL – it would be the same symbol if somebody
shuts the mouth to “speak”  “M”  or opens his mouth and protrudes his lips
to say “U” ... or “sh”

In the past I discussed the need to match SW-mouthpatterns with what we know
from the IPA.

Of course there are some dificulties and differences and I am aware of the
fact that we are far away to to able to discriminate accurately several
mouhpatterns that are associated with typical sounds of speech ...

Nevermind – in order to support my deaf students to read and understand
SW-document fluently and to improve their level of the spoken language (!!!)
it has been a great advantage to develop this set of SW-mouth patterns.

I created a document showing all the mouthpatterns that are used so far in
GebaerdenSchrift  (= the German branch of Sutton SignWriting) If you are
interested I could give you more information about that.

Would be great to look at a video while you speak the words:

jar

SH

olive  - O – (depends on your pronounciation – smile) often a simple “O”
would be fine:

u  - like in you :

F, V, W, PH,    =

L =

M  =

All the best

Stefan ;-)

---------------------

Maria posted:

Hi,

Which mouth patterns in signwriting correspond to the following sounds:

1. 'J' as in 'Jar'

2. 'SH' as in 'Sheets'

3. 'O' as in 'olive'

4. 'U' as in the vowel of 'You'

I also have met 'F', 'L' and 'M' - these I signwrite as follows, see
attachment. Are they the appropriate symbols?

Thanks

Maria

  _____

Ich verwende die kostenlose Version von SPAMfighter
<http://www.spamfighter.com/lde> , die bisher
395 Spammails entfernt und mir so eine Menge Zeit gespart hat.
Rund 5,6 Millionen Leute nutzen SPAMfighter schon