Movement to the side

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Thu Nov 27 18:54:01 UTC 2008

Hi Adam, Stefan and eveyone,

    Adam and Stefan, thanks for your comments.

    Stefan, I prefer a single-stemmed arrows (left or right side).  But I respect that Deaf teacher and Deaf kids prefer the hand on the wall plane (double-stemmed arrows) (only right or left side) and other hand on the floor plane (single-stemmed arrows) (only right or left side).  Deaf teacher told me that Deaf students were succesful to read fast (B) than (A).

    Hand waving

    André
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stefan Wöhrmann
  To: 'SignWriting List'
  Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:42 PM
  Subject: AW: [sw-l] Movement to the side

  Hi Andrè,

  I agree with Adams comment - it doesn't matter. - smile - From my point of view - I prefer single stemmed arrows if the movement is directly to the left or right side. But this attitude developed over time - I guess it is a matter of clear structure .. .

  Sometimes I hesitate if I should vote for top - down or frontview  if a  handorientation allows  both options ... and in the past we discussed this point that almost always both hands in a sign should be written - (if possible) from the same point of view ( both hands top down, or both hands front view) But even here I decide to violate this "principle" if anything seems to prevent the reader to understand intuitively and alost without any hesitation.

  So - my opinion - left and right movement - (if they are meant to be straight to the left and straight to the right)   c a n   be written with both arrows ( double stemmed and sinle stemmed) but in these cases I always vote for the single stemmed arrows.

  Stefan ;-)