a few things...

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 10 22:36:47 UTC 2008

I have seen that too. I wonder if there is another factor involved ...
ASL seems to have a stronger use of fingerspelling compared to other
countries. In the countries that I visited, they avoided
fingerspelling as much as possible. If a new important name or concept
came their way, they figured out a sign for it. People might have some
disagreements about what the sign should be, but they would agree that
they needed a sign and eventually find one they liked.

My observations have been that, in the US, it seems that ASL rules say
that anything "new" should be fingerspelled until there is at least
regional consent on a sign. Some sign names might have regional
consensus, but those are not considered standard ASL until it has more
national consensus. I could be wrong. I haven't noticed anyone in my
area use a namesign for Obama or McCain. Bush probably would not have
gotten a namesign since his name only has 4 letters.

I saw this