Handshapes of same orientation that differ as written in SignPuddle

Natasha Escalada-Westland shash90 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 30 15:52:01 UTC 2008

Hello again SW colleagues,

I am perplexed again as to how to write an explanation of a classifier, this time to describe a vehicle.  In the ASL SignPuddle dictionary I see:

A vehicle (presumably making its way along a curvy road)    and

  meaning a parked or stopped vehicle.

Both dominant hands in the signs shown employ the same location in the sign space and very similar palm orientations as viewed expressively, yet the first uses a symbol that implies floor plane orientation, and the second uses a symbol that implies wall plane orientation.

Personally, I feel more comfortable using   for both signs.

Any thoughts or comments?
Natasha Escalada-Westland, M.Ed. (D/HH), Macromedia Cert.www.westlandasl.com