glossing

Cherie Wren cwterp at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 20 23:46:39 UTC 2008

IX and Pro-1 are both pointing.  Those are ways to write Signs using English symbols/characters.  SignWriting is a whole different thing, where the signs are written using symbols that look like the signs themselves.  look in the Sign Puddle to see examples of sign writing.  Welcome to the group!

cherie

________________________________
From: Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Cc: Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com>
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 7:28:32 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] glossing

SignWriting List
October 20. 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Patricia L. Place-Kinghorn wrote:
I am trying to learn glossing and am confused.  IX and Pro-1 seem the same to me, for example.  Also, I hope my question is posted to the correct place. Thanks, Tricia Place-Kinghorn

Hello Tricia!
Thank you for this message. And welcome to the SignWriting List. Yes. You posted your question in the right place!

Do you know about SignWriting? It writes the movements and facial expressions of sign languages with symbols, taking away the need for word-glosses...

But we do have a cool translation program where you can type in the English word-glosses and get the equivalent in written signs in SignWriting. Would you like to learn how to do that for your class? I bet they will be amazed...

Write again here to the List and tell me if you are interested in learning how to use the SignPuddle Translation program...

What is IX and Pro-1? You can teach me too ;-))

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting