International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA) in finished ; -)

Sun Sep 7 18:55:28 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
September 7, 2008

Hello Stefan and everyone -
Thank you for your kind words below...Yes...I have been working on the
ISWA for years now, and although we all know it will never be
"prefect", it is certainly a better symbolset than the IMWA...the
symbol you ask your question about below didn't even exist in the
IMWA...

And yes you are right, we are planning all kinds of documentation and
teaching methods to teach the symbols, including animated GIFs of each
symbol, and as you say, photos and descriptions...maybe you and others
would enjoy helping me with some of those? We can talk about that
later...one step at a time...;-))

Meanwhile, to answer your question below...That symbol is an "Eye-
Blink". It is one of several ways to write the eyelid...but I can see
you found a tiny error on my part...the little arrows that represent
the opening and closing should be read from the center-out, and so
the arrows should be flopped for one of the eyes! Great to get your
discerning feedback, Stefan...you have such a good eye (smile) for
details - I am not sure if that can be fixed now, because it is
overwhelming work for Steve to have to re-load the symbols...but I am
glad you told me and I will put that on a little list of "things to
fix someday" ;-))

At least you know what is meant here:

Here are the Eye-Blink symbols: