Group 1 handshape symbol differentiation

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 28 22:42:24 UTC 2008

Adam is right. The second one is seen from above, from 'bird's perspective'. If it was seen the 'normal' way, in front of you, it would have been written by an all white palm. There are lots of hands that can be written both ways, depending of what the rest of the sign is written like. It seems it's easiest to read if you stick to one perspective per sign whenever possible.

Ingvild, Norway

From: Adam Frost
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 12:38 AM
To: SignWriting List
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Group 1 handshape symbol differentiation

The first one would have your palm facing the ground while the second would have your palm facing you. I hope this helps.

Adam

On Sep 28, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:

  Could someone please explain to  me the differences between the following two symbols and how they might be used (or give examples of signs).

  It seems to me that one of them  might be physically or logically impossible, but I am fairly new at this.
  Thank you!

  Natasha Escalada-Westland, M.Ed. (D/HH), Macromedia Cert.
  Westland Progeny,
  www.westlandprogeny.com
  www.westlandasl.com

  SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu