ANNOUNCING: International SignWriting Alphabet 2008

Sun Sep 21 14:54:17 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
September 21, 2008

Hello Maria, and also Ingvild and Hasna from two previous messages...

Thank you for your congratulations...It means a lot to me. The
International SignWriting Alphabet is the best symbolset we have ever
had, based on 35 years of experience learning what was needed...I was
telling Steve the other day, that the ISWA 2008 is "what SignWriting
always should have been"...The ISWA 2008 feels comfortable to use, as
if it was always there waiting for us to use it!

...but it just took 35 years to learn what was needed...through
feedback and suggestions and studying the writing from signwriters
around the world...

So I worked on the ISWA symbols, improving them and adding to them,
for over two years, based on the last IMWA symbolset we were using...

And you are correct, Maria...I really worked hard at making the
movement arrows just get longer, rather than change in width...There
are basically two sizes...a small arrow and a larger one, and once you
start using the larger one, if you want even larger, you just get a
longer one without the width of the arrow changing...that was months
of work on my part, trying to standardize that...

And yes...the Facial Circles are now standardized in size. The old
IMWA symbolset had some facial circles that were not the exact same
size, so some of them did not fit exactly on top of each other....well
that problem got fixed in the ISWA....so that is why you used to
struggle doing that in the old IMWA. so yes...it is now easier to put
heads on top of each other ...you may have to adjust some of those
from your old writing because I fixed that problem now...

This was an enormous amount of work, you are right. I designed the
symbols of the ISWA 2008, but without Steve Slevinski developing the
software for us to use it in, we would have a much harder time using
it, and I would not have been able to test it the way I did without
Steve's software, and because of Steve's outstanding conversion
software, we were able to automatically convert from the last version
of the IMWA to the new ISWA without a hitch...it was a flawless
conversion...so it is the Slevinski-Sutton collaboration that is
making this possible.

In the ISWA 2008 Reference Manual, I wrote a brief history of
SignWriting software development, and I also dedicated the ISWA 2008
to Steve Slevinski...you might want to read it:

Go to this web page and click on number 1:

ISWA 2008 Documents
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/ISWA/

And there is still more to do now...Now that the ISWA is posted in
SymbolBank and in SignPuddle 1.5, I now have to update SignBank
software with the new symbols, and Steve is working on updating the
PocketPuddles and other software...

So the work goes on!

Once again thank you for writing your message, Maria...I am happy to
know you are enjoying the new symbols -

Val ;-)