Group 1 handshape symbol differentiation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 29 14:53:26 UTC 2008

And the same is true for the plane parallel to the Floor. We can
pretend we are on the ceiling, looking down at hands that are parallel
to the Floor Plane. Those hands have the break across them...and they
can be high or low or far or near to the body, and if we pretend we
are a bird sitting high up, looking down, we see the hand parallel to
the floor...no matter how high or low the hand itself is...that is why
Ingvild called it the "bird's eye view"...so all these levels of
hands, parallel to the Floor Plane have a break in the handshape.

In the attached diagram all these hands are in the exact same palm
facing. They are simply at different heights. They are all parallel to
the Floor. And we are viewing them as if we were a bird sitting on the
ceiling....so we know it is the Floor Plane, when there is a break in
the finger...at any height: