How many symbols do we use in SignWriting? Part 1

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 18 15:58:21 UTC 2009

10 groups of handshapes, knocking down to 7 groups of symbols, by category.

And yet, that is misleading Valerie.  They asked "how many symbols do we use" not "how many categories do we use".  You are comparing apples to oranges to bypass the question.

The question is -- flat out -- how many symbols do you use in Sign Writing.  That is distinct symbols, not rotations, not reflections.

She asked a question, and you give her a misleading answer.

English uses 26 letters, plus 10 number symbols, plus about 30 symbols on the keyboard that are used for specialized diacritics.  Cyrillic uses about 35 letters.  Cherokee is a syllabary with over 60, Chinese has more than 8,000 distinct characters.

The count of 25,000 is approximately accurate as far as every symbol in the ISWA corpus including rotations and reflections.

I don't like bypassed answers, answer her question, how many distinct symbols are there in ISWA?

Charles