How many symbols do we use in SignWriting? Part 1

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Aug 18 16:16:15 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
August 18, 2009

Hello Maria and Charles!
Thank you for your messages. I can see you are an excellent teacher,
Charles. Everyone has their own style of teaching. So that is fine!

I am just sharing how I start the explanation about numbers of
symbols...

I have not finished my explanation yet...I will now write Part 2 of my
explanation, but it may take another hour, so I ask for your patience...

In Part 1 I explained my short answer, and obviously people
immediately ask me about the categories and I explain them...when I
personally teach people about things, it takes long paragraphs of
explanation...I was just giving you a summary of how I personally
start the topic of symbols...for people who have never heard of
SignWriting before...I oftentimes then discuss other writing system
that are not like the Roman alphabet...for example although I don't
know Chinese, I would ask someone in the audience or the class if they
know how many symbols are in Chinese? and they oftentimes would not
know but people enjoy these conversations...and breaking the symbols
down into categories is a good way to start a conversation...!

Without the 28 category explanation, it is hard for people to grasp
how people learn SignWriting. They are frightened that they have to
"memorize" 25,000 symbols or whatever the large number is...and so I
also explain that the symbols are very visual, and do not require the
same kind of memorization that more abstract symbols do...like the
facial expressions, for example, are symbols, but many of them are
recognizable and do not require memorization.

You are most welcome to continue to teach your way...we all have our
right to teach as we wish!

How did you come to the conclusion that there are 25,000 symbols? How
do you define the term "symbol"?... and which sign language are you
referring to? I am writing Part 2 now, and I explain how I personally
break the symbols down into something I call "BaseSymbols"...so that
is coming. I need to get a cup of coffee and relax a little, and I
will then write and post Part 2...

Thanks for your messages!

Val ;-)

--------