i want to understand this better

Tue Aug 18 17:34:35 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
August 18, 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 9:52 AM, kittygurl1 tds.net wrote:
> I have never heard of Sign Writing until I googled and found it.  I
> am learning Sign Language now using a book entitled Signing
> Illustrated by Mickey Flodin, am i to understand that our
> fingerspelling or the hand shape of the word is how the symbol is
> written, like the sign for boy is using your right or left hand to
> the forehead like grasping a ball cap so the writtne symbol would be
> a ball cap.  is this correct. Simone

Hello Simone!
I am very happy to meet you, and welcome to the SignWriting List!

And thank you for your question.

Let me slowly, step by step, teach you and others who are new to
SignWriting, how to read the sign for BOY in American Sign Language.

First, you can search for signs yourself, written in SignWriting
online. This will help you learn.

How to search?

1. go to our ASL SignPuddle Online Dictionary, to search for the sign
for BOY.

Go to:

ASL Dictionary Online
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=4

2. Click on the "Search by Words" button top left on the
screen...Then, in the search field, type the word for BOY, and click
on SEARCH.

Many choices are listed for writing the sign for BOY. Here are two: