How many symbols do we use in SignWriting? Part 2a

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Aug 18 18:01:20 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
August 18, 2009

How many symbols do we use in SignWriting? Part 2a

We call them "BaseSymbols" in the ISWA...They are the representative
symbol, without all the rotations and flops.

Please make a note of this web page....

The raw numbers for the ISWA, can be found by going to:

ISWA-2008 Code Pages
http://www.signbank.org/swis/data.php

Click on the button All Symbol Groups.
It gives you a listing of all symbol groups.

Click on the button All BaseSymbols
It gives you the complete listing of 639 BaseSymbols.
This includes all 7 categories of symbols.
We do not write with all these BaseSymbols.

Here is the raw data, as Steve explained too:

639 BaseSymbols are broken down this way:

250 Hands
242 Movement
110 Faces & Heads
16 Body
8 Dynamics & Timing
5 Punctuation
8 Advanced Sorting for computers

and attached is a document listing the names of all 639 BaseSymbols in
the ISWA. I will explain more next message, teaching you how to
determine the symbols for your own sign languages...