Ordering Signs

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 2 02:50:00 UTC 2009

This is a fascinating discussion.  I can understand that one needs to have a clear test group, like the kids, and finding a way to show them where each handshape fits into the system at a glance is necessary.  One needs to show the whole of Group 1, etc, not just the first handshape in a group, but then have an order to them, which is still under discussion.

Charles

________________________________
From: Gagnon et Thibeault <atg at videotron.ca>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Tue, December 1, 2009 9:27:58 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Ordering Signs

Hi Trevor and
everyone,

      You are right that handshape would be
more important than location.  I thought that Charles wanted to discuss
about a "specific head". (he wrote: The first-four entries seem to be by head,
is that intentional?)  I showed him the attached specific head
orders.  I answered him: you are right.  However, I
misunderstood.

      I would like to inform you that it is
not easy to find the primary handshape.  Deaf children couldn't remember
everything about the primary handshape 1- 10.  For example, in what group
of the primary handshape do you find IDEA (ASL)?  Deaf children had to
check each primary handshape 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. They found group 6.  They
didn't like to look for IDEA for a long time.  I tried to help them find
the primary handshape quickly on the first front page in the dictionary.
You will see the attached group 1-6.
  They were happy to look at the
first front page. They quickly  went to  Group 6 "thumb &
small finger".

      Regards,

      André