Writing Mouth Movements and video to write....

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Jan 28 15:44:07 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
January 28, 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 7:07 AM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> ” I would like to use Valeries words...Sometimes people see videos
> differently so it is possible my interpretation is not right...
> (there are no mouthmovements?? hm .. interesting) Have a great day
> everybody
> Stefan

Hello Stefan!
Thank you for your comments and I hope you could write the hands in
this sign...I have attached the video of the sign below...I would love
to see how you would write the entire sign, including the mouth
movements!

Of course there are mouth movements. You are absolutely correct on
that one! And we all see them. smile

And THANK YOU, Stefan, for the developments you have created writing
Mouth Movements....Your work is groundbreaking and very important.
Woehrmann's SpeechWriting is really working in Deaf Education and that
is what matters....

So maybe I should explain about what I say "we write what we see"....

When I say "we write what we see"....that is true, but let me add
another second phrase..."Each writer must choose WHAT to write, from
what they see. We do not necessarily write ALL that we see at all
times. It depends on the purpose of the document and the choice of the
writer, as to what they write and what they leave out."

So it is a personal choice...

I really like reading the Mouth Movements in German documents and
dictionaries!

It is true that I do not write all the Mouth Movements I see in
videos...but that does not mean it is not good to do so...naturally
you do that because you are working with Deaf children...so each
writer makes their choices what to leave out...

For example, I write more Facial Expressions when I write SignWriting
Literature. But for dictionary entries, sometimes Facial Expressions
can change depending on the sentence in Literature, so sometimes
placing the Facial Expressions in Dictionary entries is not
appropriate, depending on the circumstance, or perhaps in the
dictionary entry we can add different choices of Facial Expressions
depending on the possible grammar of a sentence...

So here is the sign we are trying to write....can you help us? Val ;-)