Gospel John in ASL Chapter 1 in PDF format

Thu Jul 30 21:23:55 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 30, 2009

Hello SignWriting List!
I have been working on the book design and layout, for printing the 21
chapters of the Gospel According to John in American Sign Language,
translated from the New Living Translation by Nancy Romero, edited by
ASL editor Lucinda O'Grady Batch (thank you Nancy & Cindy ;-)

Since we decided to publish the Gospel of John in SignWriting Level 4,
which means four columns per page, in portrait style pages, I decided
to use a book-design program called Adobe InDesign for this very large
book preparation, since it may involve 500-600 pages when we are done,
and our DocumentMaker Pro program, no matter how much I love it, needs
to be improved from a software development perspective, and our non-
profit organization does not have the funds right now to invest in
improving DocumentMaker...someday we will!

So instead, since I used PageMaker years ago to prepare books, and
since PageMaker was purchased by Adobe, they made it possible for
PageMaker users to transfer all their old documents into Adobe
InDesign. I had hundreds of book-layout files in the old PageMaker so
I had a big job transferring all those old files into Adobe InDesign,
but over time I learned Adobe InDesign and I enjoy using the program...

There are two programs used most for large book-layouts...Quark
Express and Adobe InDesign...and there are others that are terrific
for mathematical textbooks and so forth...so there is a big world out
there with so many software choices...I know lots of people use
Microsoft Word...I understand how to use Adobe InDesign better, and I
love the way it makes PDF files, since Adobe is the developer of the
PDF format...they have the creation of PDF files built into the
program, which is a great help. It also coordinates well with Adobe
Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat...

So I have started the SignWriting 4-column layout for the 21 chapters
of the Gospel According to John in Adobe Indesign now ...I created a
template with a table for the four columns...giving the lines between
the columns a light grey color, and I established the exact Column
Height, width and so forth in SignPuddle ColumnMaker to match my
template in Adobe InDesign.

So if there are any of you who also use Adobe InDesign, or would like
to learn, and you would like to have a copy of the template I have
established for SignWriting Level 4 documents (4-column portrait
documents), please tell me and I will send you my template, with
instructions on how to coordinate with SignPuddle's ColumnMaker
features, which are just superb! (thank you, Steve! ;-)

Here, attached, is a sample of the first chapter of the Gospel
According to John. I will add more chapters later....

Hope you all have enjoyed your July!!

Val ;-)

See attached -