new subscriber

KJ kjoanne403 at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Wed May 13 03:03:03 UTC 2009

Monire (or is it Mose?)  Welcome to the List, Carol, and welcome to SW!  I know I was thrilled when I first discovered SW; I hope you'll find your school more receptive to it than most North Americans.  Please feel free to post your questions here - the answers and discussions are always interesting. :-)  We've got great people here on the List, always ready to do whatever we can to help!

KJ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Carol Nussbaumer
  To: SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:54 PM
  Subject: [sw-l] new subscriber

  Monire Mose!  (Hello, everyone)

  I am new to SW and very excited to find it.  I am a volunteer speech therapist at the Embangweni School for the Hard of Hearing in Malawi, Africa.  We began in 1997 to develop a sign language for our students, who use Chitumbuka as the language of choice (they also must learn English, Chichewa and often a tribal language).  Up till now we have had no way of visually presenting the signs for new students and new teachers.  I am hoping to be able to use SW for our school.

  The school presently has 164 students boarding, ranging in age from 6 - 20.  About 60% are post-lingual deaf; the rest born deaf.  We have 12 classrooms, plus the advanced vocational education section with an average of 11 students per classroom - much better than the usual Malawian classroom of 80 to 100 students per teacher!  We are located on a mission station which is a 3 hour drive from the nearest town of any size.  The school has no piped water, but we are lucky to have a bore-hole (deep water well) close to the classroom block.  There is electricity  on station, but it is too expensive for the school to use except for a very occasional evening meeting at the chapel.

  If you would like to learn more and see pictures of the school, visit the website www.marionmedical.org

  I imagine I will be on here asking for help a lot!

  Tiwonge chomeni!  (Thank you very much)

  Carol Nussbaumer   Mama Kalo to the Embangweni kids

  SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

  List Archives and Help