heel view not best term.

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 30 12:07:32 UTC 2009

In Norwegian, the 'vrist' is on top of the foot - the 'hel' is where the English 'heel' is on the foot, but we do not have a word to describe the 'heel of the hand'

Languages are wierd ...

Ingvild

From: icemandeaf at gmail.com
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Re: heel view not best term.
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:33:58 -0700

I can see your point, but I can see problems with "wrist" view as well. The wrist can be viewed from any directions where as the heel of the hand is very specific. Yes, it is actually called the heel of the hand. This is from the dictionary right after the definition given about the heel as being on the foot. "the part of the palm of the hand next to the wrist"
It is interesting that the wrist on the foot is called the ankle, but the heel is the same for both the foot and the hand. You've gotta love English. Ha!
So I agree that it might not be the best term as it causes confusion, but so does every other word. That is the reason that Val and I have been working on getting images of all of the hands. We are getting them done slowly, but surely. ;-)
Adam On May 29, 2009, at 8:22 PM, Charles Butler wrote:As "heel" is a part of the foot, I'd suggest using "wrist" view instead, it states what angle you are looking at, essentially straight forward at the wrist, not up from the "heel" of the foot.  I know we've called it "heel" for a while, but it is confusing, and wrist is unambiguous.

Charles Butler