[DEAF] Without ASL, English is IMPOSSIBLE!

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 12 18:25:14 UTC 2009

I guess we all need to do our presentations and get them on YouTube and publicize them.
Charles

--- On Mon, 10/12/09, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:

From: Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>
Subject: [sw-l] [DEAF] Without ASL, English is IMPOSSIBLE!
To: "SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Cc: lagunazurfer at gmail.com
Date: Monday, October 12, 2009, 1:29 PM

SignWriting List
October 11, 2009

Hello Stefan, Anny, Adam, Cherie and Everyone -

Thank you for your interest, Stefan and Anny, from Germany and French-Switzerland!

The video link that was sent to me is clearly in ASL, directed to ASL signers...of course it is not in German Sign Language or French-Swiss Sign Language...wouldn't that be wonderful if it were? ;-))

It is really very "USA focused"...And I do not know the person who sent me the link...it was just something I shared with all of you without any preparation. I do not believe the signer even knows about SignWriting. SignWriting was never mentioned in the video that I noticed, but I do think it would be wonderful to point out to the signer that written American Sign Language adds another component to teaching signers both English and ASL...that having a written form for both languages is true bilingualism. Oftentimes here in the US, people assume that there is only writing for the spoken language but no writing for ASL...and that is a shame, since Adam, Cherie and so many others on this List are writing ASL now.

I am hoping in time that the public awareness will change as more people realize that ASL and other sign languages can be written...

I invited the signer to join our SignWriting List. That has not happened yet...At the moment our List has exactly 144 List members...

100 Non-digested Members of SW-L
44 Digested Members of SW-L

I know it feels like the whole world uses SignWriting here on the List, but actually we are a small group of users here on the List, and SignWriting is used by a much larger group of people off the List...I can tell that by the news of it spreading in various places, without my realizing it, which means there were no messages on the List to inform me of certain projects etc...and that is an exciting fact, but hard for us to pin down exactly how it is being used in this big big world of ours!

I am happy it is spreading. Sooner or later we bump into users and we then have a great communication and that is always gratifying...

Val ;-)

-------

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help