invisible person in ASL storytelling...

Fri Sep 18 15:31:28 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 18, 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 8:11 AM, Bill Reese wrote:
> It clarifies the meaning of what is said.  Could then we put a
> second person location marker in parenthesis when a signer does not
> indicate one but it's essential to the understanding?
> Bill

Thanks for your idea, Ingvild - it is an interesting one!

And Bill, that is an interesting idea...I appreciate your messages...

And everyone is welcome to write as they choose...

For  me....

In the ASL on the video, Patrick was able to describe the whole story
of Jesus placing his fingers in someone else's ears with no problem at
all...his ASL was clear and easy to understand and he did not require
a second person standing in front of him to show this...he was able to
explain the story in real ASL without that second person really
standing there...so if we write exactly the way Patrick signed it on
the video, why wouldn't that be as understandable in writing as it is
in signing?

Of course for other books other ways of describing the story can
certainly be created and writing a DanceWriting-like document would be
fine...but in this case the project was just transcribing a video
exactly as it was signed...

So of course there can be many ways to create books to describe the
story...the SignWriting could be combined with real illustrations too...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help