invisible person in ASL storytelling...

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 18 15:46:37 UTC 2009

Maybe I was too rash: there is a differnce between composing or translating a written message on the one hand, and transcribing a spoken/ signed message on the other.
In transcribing, of course the job is to write what you see or hear, not to put in anything additional.
But in composing or translating for a written document, we transform the language somewhat.
In spoken languages, the written form does not have all the nuances of inflection, speed etc. that the poken form has, so the written form has to be more complete and 'follow the rules'. In written form, we use 'inverted commas' or "citation markers" to indicate that something is said in another way or by another person.

- The story we are talking about now, was told by a scribe, John, who does not himself appear in the story. He tells about two other persons, Jesus and the deaf-mute man. So the signer is signing a translation of what the scribe wrote, that one person (Jesus) puts his fingers into another persons ears. Transcribing should of course show what the signer signed, but for a written translation, why should one of the missing persons be shown and not the other?

To me, this example is maybe the strongest one I have to give to those out there still thinking we do not need to write the signed languages ...

Ingvild

From: icemandeaf at gmail.com
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] invisible person in ASL storytelling...
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:30:52 -0700

To be honest, I think writing in the second head is too much for everyday writing. I couldn't even begin to read the sign. But when Val wrote it without and it was placed in the flow of the reading, it was clear to me what was happaning. It reminds me of a point in The Cat in the Hat where the cat is balancing items on his paws, head, and tail. There were no "item" symbols placed and the story still read fine. I feel it is the same here. Like any language, when reading it, a person with the language knowledge will fill in the blanks that a person without the same knowledge would miss. I have noticed that this use of classifiers is one that many non native signers have a hard time understanding at first.
Adam