Looking for foreign co-operation

Nedelina Ivanova nedelina.ivanova at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 3 10:25:31 UTC 2009

Dear all,
My name is Nedelina Ivanova. I am working on a sign language dictionary
project for Icelandic Sign Language at *The Communication Centre for The
Deaf and Hard of Hearing in Reykjavik, Iceland. I *graduaded last autum from
Univeristy of Iceland with a master degree in Icelandic lingustics. My M.A.
thesis was on a purpose for SLDictionary making for Icelandic SL on
linguistic principals (the last two words do not say much but they sound so
well ...). it was extreamly dificult to write it but it was fun. I started
working at The centre for deaf and hard of hearing in august 2009. I got a
grant for six months from the Icelandic salary found of authors of science
works to work on a project for SLDictionary. The project started and it is
going well, so far at least. We are on very early stage of it.
 The purpose of my letter is as following: I am going to apply for á project
grant from the

 Icelandic Research Fund and I am looking for foreign co-operation. The main
subject of my research will be morphology of Icelandic Sign Language. I am
going to research among other things sing´s root: what is the root of a
sign; how can the grammar category *root* be defined for Icelandic SL; is
there only one possibility for definition or are they more??

My question to you all is: Is someone interested to research the same topic
in the sign language of his country of origin? Probably you know someone who
will be interested??? The main idea is to share information on our
researches via emails and see which the conclusions will be. Then always is
possible to publish the main conclusions of our research.

I know that some discussions have been taken place in the teams working on a
making of SL dictionary but as far as my knowledge reaches there aren’t any
publications on this issue. I asked twice on the sign language mailing list
if someone is familiar with researches of any kind on this issue but I never
got an answer.

I think that this is a very interesting area of research and I hope that
some of you would like to join me in this research.

With best regards from Iceland

Nedelina Ivanova

--
Nedelina Ivanova
Sign language researcher

The Communication Centre for The Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Sudurlandsbraut 12
108 Reykjavik
Iceland

www.shh.is